If you have an HP printer, you may be wondering if you can use other ink cartridges in it. The answer is yes. If the other cartridge is a third-party or remanufactured ink cartridge of the same size and model number, it can be used in the HP printer. Just make sure it’s a generic compatible cartridge.
However, there are a few things to consider too. In this article, we’ll take a look at what you need to know before using non-HP ink cartridges in your printer. Also, I will explain- How can you use other ink cartridges in an HP printer? Keep reading for more information!
Can You Use Other Ink Cartridges In An HP Printer?
Basically, HP won’t let you use other ink cartridges in the printer. So, According to HP, you can not and should not use other ink cartridges in an HP printer.
As the manufacturers made HP printers incompatible to use other ink cartridges, especially generic ink cartridges, you, without few tricks, won’t be able to use cartridges other than genuine ones.
Yes, using some smart tricks, you can easily use other ink cartridges in an HP printer maintaining some criteria.
First of all, you have to use the same model of remanufactured or generic cartridge that your printer supports. Also, you can’t use other brands such as Canon’s or Brother’s ink cartridges in your HP Printer.
Let’s See What Stops HP To Recognize Other Cartridges?
You will see that there is a cartridge maintenance or protection setting, which is on HP’s genuine-ink cartridges. For that, the original one is locked into the printer. So it is interchangeable, you can not use a different one instead.
If you intend to use another HP ink cartridge instead of the current one, you cannot because it is locked.
Therefore, these printers and cartridges feature a protection system that won’t allow them to be used at the same time with different ones. So, let’s see how to disable the cartridge protection system.
Right Process Of Disabling Cartridge Protection Of HP To Use Other Ink Cartridges
Unless the cartridge protection system is disabled, you can’t use other ink cartridges in an HP Printer. Also, you should disable this system as there are many reasons for that:
- It won’t let you install and use remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges.
- You can not use the ink cartridge for a new printer if you previously loaded it on your old printer.
- You may use it only once. That means you cannot refill it or recycle it.
However, you can be benefitted in many ways by deactivating the cartridge protection system. And it is quite easy to disable this setting without professional assistance. Let’s see how..
If the printer doesn’t have internet access, follow these steps:
- At first, from the menu of the printer, select the printer settings.
- To disable HP’s cartridge protection, find out if there is an option that may allow you to do this.
- Here, you have to select the disable cartridge protection option.
- Click on the apply button and if necessary save it.
You need to follow these steps if the wireless printer offers internet features:
- If you navigate to your printer’s settings, you will find the IP address in the Network Setup option.
- Insert the IP address in the address bar of an internet browser to open the embedded web server of your printer. Next, go to printer settings and select the cartridge protection option.
- Finally, select the disable option, and if necessary save it.
How To Trick Ink Cartridges Of HP?
Apart from disabling the cartridge protection system of HP, you may trick the ink cartridges of HP into operating with another printer. You may still use ink cartridges with your new printer though they are locked in your old one. Follow the steps below:
- You have to remove your new ink cartridge from the printer and reload your old cartridge right into it.
- Now, you have to wait approximately ten minutes until you proceed towards the next stage.
- Again, you have to install your new ink cartridge by removing your old one.
Now, your printer can recognize the new ink cartridge. If this does not work you can try another method following our instructions below:
- You have to remove your new ink cartridge.
- And then turn off the printer. After that detach the power cord of the printer for a few minutes, approximately 10.
- Connect the HP printer’s power cord again, but make sure that the power button is turned off on your printer.
- Now, reload your new ink cartridge right into your HP Printer.
I think this time it is working well. However, maintain these steps carefully and try to avoid problematic issues, getting the help of professionals. Though these steps are quite easy to do on your own.
In this article, I have discussed “can you use other ink cartridges in a HP printer?” And other related aspects regarding setting up other cartridges in the printer.
Initially, it may seem impossible for a person to use other cartridges in a HP printer other than the genuine one but I have suggested a simple way to fix this problem by disabling the cartridge protection system so that you can operate the printer with a different ink cartridge.